Ticonderoga history is inexorably linked to paper, mills, graphite mining and pencils. The museum is housed in the former main office of International Paper Company, the area's largest industry and employer. Displays and exhibits interpret the manufacturing techniques and the history of paper and pencils, the International Paper Company, and the American Graphite Company, makers of the famous Dixon-Ticonderoga pencils.
Learn about graphite mining, which started here in 1815, and the technology of mills--saw, grist, graphite, iron, paper. Video presentations. Special Events: Workshops for children. A nice complement to the museum is the LaChute River Interpretive Trail which begins just outside the museum. Pick up a map at the museum and learn about local waterpower, papermaking, geology and ecology along the quarter-mile riverside walk.
Open: July-Aug, Daily, 10am-4pm. May-June, Sept-Oct, Sat-Sun, 10am-4pm. Donation.