The Clinton County Historical Society oversees preservation of the lighthouse and offers tours, call 518-561-0340 for information. The waters off Valcour Island were the site of a pivotal naval battle during the Revolutionary War. In October of 1776, a hastily assembled group lead by General Benedict Arnold engaged the British fleet at Valcour. Hiding their ships behind the island, the Americans staged a surprise attack on the British ships as they sailed down the lake.
Although all the American ships were lost, they managed to delay the British advance for another season--precious time used by the Americans to muster an army to meet the British at Saratoga in the summer of 1777. Trails wind around the state-owned island and interpretive signage describes the events that unfolded here in 1776. The historic 1874 lighthouse, which is on the National Register of Historic Places, is open to the public on Sundays during the summer.
Accessible by boat only.