ADIRONDACK REGION, NY - This fall, peer beyond the grave with ghost tours in historic Adirondack towns, enjoy Halloween-themed events and get spooked with lodging packages in haunted hotels for a visit that is supernaturally fun for the whole family.
Explore the darkest corners of Fort Ticonderoga on a moonlit night with the Garrison Ghost Tour and experience the unexplained ghoulish occurrences that happen in the fort for yourself. Take a guided 90-minute tour through the Fort's oldest passages with a knowledgeable guide and listen to spine-tingling, centuries-old ghost stories. Reservations are required for the 8 pm tour, which is available October 18 and 25.
Join in the eerie events of Halloween Towne in Lowville, scheduled for October 25-26, and enjoy ghoulish games and freaky fun for the whole family, including pumpkin carving, a Halloween costume garage, trick or treating and haunted house tours.
Take a lantern-lit ghost tour into the past with Greater Adirondack Ghost & Tour Company and listen to the peculiar stories of Adirondack hauntings during the "tour of terror," or roam through the old cemetery and Plattsburgh military barracks to watch for spooks. The company offers three guided tours every Friday and Saturday throughout September, with special tour dates starting in October. Explore historic Plattsburgh's darker side with tours that depart at 7 and 9 pm, including:
- Specters & Soldiers Tour – Wind through the old Roman Catholic Burial ground in Plattsburgh by the flickering light of a lantern and discover the secrets of the departed in the town's most mysterious Victorian graveyards, or the ghostly ruins of Fort Brown.
- Dr. Beaumont's Tour of Terror – Follow the ghost of Dr. William Beaumont, Plattsburgh's preeminent physician in the 1800s, during a lantern tour into the macabre gloaming. Listen to tales of Beaumont's gruesome experiments, creepy murders, hangings and ghostly hauntings, as the tour winds through the darkened mansions of the historic Point District.
- The Ghosts of the Old Post – Stroll by lantern light through the historic Old Post Cemetery, where more than 100 soldiers of unknown origins are buried. Look for the ghost of the "Lady in White" and listen to chilling tales from beyond the grave.
Find tour dates, information and more at Facebook.com/Great-Adirondack-Ghost-and-Tour-Company-Plattsburgh-NY.
Dr. Morbid' s Haunted House in Lake George is another Adirondack Halloween staple, offering thrills for almost all ages, with "high startle" actors, spooky settings, wax figures and entertaining frights. Tickets cost $9 for adults and $4-$8 for children and students.
Haunted Adirondack Hotel Packages
Enjoy the thrill of the unknown and stay in a haunted hotel this fall in the Adirondacks, with spooky lodging packages, including:
- Haunted Weekend at The Sagamore Resort in Bolton Landing includes two nights' accommodations, ghost tour of the hotel, bonfire with ghost stories, haunted tour of Fort William Henry with transportation to and from, as well as breakfast for two each morning. Rates start at $289 per night, based on double occupancy. Package available October 25-27, 2013.
- Fright Fest at Six Flags Great Escape in Lake George includes frightfully fun activities for the whole family. Enjoy overnight accommodations in an Adirondack-themed suite, free breakfast, passes to Splashwater Kingdom, admission to Great Escape, costume contests and more. Rates start at $209 per night, based on double occupancy. Available on weekends October 4-27, 2013.