Mountain trails are often best experienced on 2 wheels
Experience Adirondack Mountain Biking
Mountain biking opportunities can be found in forests, around state parks and down 3,000+ feet of vertical in New York's Adirondack Park. As one of the state's premier mountain biking destinations, as well as a host to nationally recognized races - the Adirondack Park's six million acres may just be one of the best kept mountain biking secrets on the East Coast.
Adirondack Mountain Biking Trails
- Ausable Chasm - enjoy 15 miles of mountain bike trails for all abilities from challenging single track to wider cruising loops for beginners. Rentals are available. 2144 State Route 9, Ausable Chasm, NY 12911.
- Crane Pond Road - a 3-mile mountain bike trail that leads to the scenic Crane Pond and Pharaoh Mountain Trailhead. Crane Pond Road, Schroon Lake, NY 12870.
- Warren County Bikeway - a 12-mile network of trails stretching from downtown Glens Falls into Lake George village. 1340 State Route 9 Lake George, NY 12845.
- Feeder Canal Park Heritage Trail - travel for nine miles along the original towpath from the Feeder Dam in Queensbury to McIntyre Park in Fort Edward. 65 Ride Street, Glens Falls, NY 12801.
- Moose River Plains - in Indian Lake offers over 27 miles of bike tails and free access, though registration at either the Limekiln or Cedar River Road Gate is required.
- Speculator "Loop" Trails - Located in Speculator near the Oak Mountain Ski Area, two loops - an outer and inner - called the Kunjamuk Loop - offer 14 and 7 miles of trails respectively. Elm Lake Road, Speculator NY 12164.
- Carpenter Road Recreation Trails - Located in the Tug Hill Region, these trails offer gorgeous woodland scenery and routes perfect for beginners. Carpenter Road, Turin, NY 13473.
Mountain Biking Resources
The Barkeater Trails Alliance, or BETA, is a small group of volunteer mountain bikers who gather throughout the year to break, maintain, plan and nurture mountain biking trail systems around Saranac Lake, Lake Placid and Wilmington. The organization is part of the non-profit Adirondack Ski Touring Council, and provides maps of area trails that have been carved, cut and maintained by BETA's members for a suggested donation. BETA's trail systems include:
- Hardy Road Trails in Wilmington
- Flume Trails in Wilmington
- Henry's Woods in Lake Placid
- Loggers/Lussi Trails in Lake Placid
- Dewey Mountain in Saranac Lake
Mountain bikers download free mountain bike trail maps off BETA's website or can sign up for a $35 donation, which grants users access to the organization's exclusive maps and trail info for 12 months.
Bike the Byways is an informational website organized by the Adirondack North Country Association. Find information about more than 30 mountain bike trails located in the Adirondack Park near New York State Scenic Byways.
Adirondack Mountain Bike Events and Races
- Black Fly Challenge - An Adirondack tradition held the second Saturday in June. Sign up and race from Indian Lake to Inlet.
- Whiteface Mountain Uphill Races - An annual tradition held in June, race up 3,500 foot Whiteface Mountain Veterans Memorial Highway for a true mountain biking challenge.
- The Wilmington-Whiteface Mountain Bike Fest - Slated for three days in June, enjoy a mix of uphill, downhill and serious competition with fun for all.
Mountain Biking Parks
Whiteface Mountain Bike Park in Wilmington - Home to the greatest vertical drop in the east - Whiteface Mountain spends the off season as a downhill park for beginner to expert mountain bikers. Take the gondola to the top of Little Whiteface for a wild ride. Equipment rentals and lessons available. Operated by High Peaks Cyclery and led by the aptly named "Downhill Mike" and "Evil Elias," the park opens each June. Beginner and intermediate terrain offer ideal trails for newbies, while the expert-only gondola ride requires extra protection and steeled nerves.
Gore Mountain Downhill Mountain Biking in North Creek - Test your stamina on Gore's 1,700 feet of vertical accessed by the Northwoods Gondola. Frequent riders can purchase an off-season gondola pass for unlimited rides to the top of Gore. Rentals are not available. Downhill Mountain Biking Camps are offered from June through September with professional instructors for children and adults.
Ausable Chasm Mountain Bike Center in Ausable Chasm - Find 15 miles of mountain bike trails for beginner to expert. Easy cruising loops and single track trails with steeper hills lead through unspoiled forest. Expert riders can connect to the Wickham Marsh State Trails, which lead out to Lake Champlain. The Mountain Riders Demo Center at Ausable Chasm also offers high performance mountain bike rentals for $25 a day. Kids can race in three divisions during the annual Sunday race series call Chasm Riders.
Dewey Mountain Recreation Center in Saranac Lake - BETA recently completed about four miles of free mountain biking trails that include steep climbs, winding descents and wooded terrain. Find great views at the top of Dewey Mountain, two beginner trails, one intermediate and two expert trails.
Where to Rent Bikes and Buy Equipment
Lake Placid Area
- High Peaks Cyclery - 2733 Main Street Lake Placid, NY 12946. Phone: (518) 523-3764
- Placid Planet - 2242 Saranac Avenue Lake Placid, NY 12946. Phone: (518) 523-4128
- Whiteface Mountain - Route 86 Wilmington, NY 12997. Phone: (518) 946-2223
Lake George Area
- The Inside Edge - 643 Upper Glen St. Queensbury, NY 12804. Phone: (518) 793-5676
- Mountain Riders - 30 City Hall Place, NY 12901. Phone: (518) 324-9900
- Ausable Chasm - 2144 Route 9 Ausable Chasm, NY 12911. Phone: (518) 834-7454