Saranac Lake's Union Depot was built in 1904 by the Delaware and Hudson Railroad, consolidating the passenger operations of the Chateaugay Railroad from the east, and the New York Central Railroad from the west. Some 18 to 20 scheduled passenger trains per day arrived during its busiest years, 1912 to 1940. The restored station now houses historic exhibits, a visitors center and gift shop. The ticket office and gift shop for the Adirondack Scenic Railroad, which runs scenic excursions between Saranac Lake and Lake Placid, is also located here.
For information contact: Historic Saranac Lake, North Elba Town Hall, 132 River St., Saranac Lake.
Open: May-Oct. Free.