Charming towns and villages throughout the Lake George Region offer a unique blend of the Adirondack Region's rustic heritage with the Gilded Age's elegance. Discover adventure, revel in something new or simply relax amid the stunning natural beauty. Enjoy a multitude of family-friendly attractions and restaurants throughout the region's communities. With more than 300 cafes, bistros, restaurants and pubs to choose from - you're sure to find something to please each palate.
In the Lake George area, the possibilities for adventure are endless. Take a romantic hot air balloon ride over glittering lakes, or fly unfettered on a parasailing excursion. From whitewater rafting on the Hudson River, to a weekend stay at one of several dude ranches - the Lake George Region is a hub for Adirondack adventure. Road and mountain bikers will find several designated cycling trails and centers, including Warren County Bikeway and the Sacandaga Outdoor Center. Gore Mountain offers summer and fall Downhill Mountain biking with more than 1,700 feet of vertical.
Several fishing charter services can be found in the Lake George Region, providing guided expeditions to fishing hot spots. Fish for landlocked Salmon, Lake Trout and Small Mouth Bass with an expert guide or simply head out on your own and cast a line.
Home to nine scenic golf courses, the region features luxuriously manicured fairways and greens at challenging courses and family-friendly clubs. The Queensbury Country Club offers a championship golf experience, while the 1,000 Acres Golf Club is perfect for beginner and experienced golfers alike. After a game of golf, spend your day navigating an evergreen canopy at Adirondack Extreme Adventure Course, or simply marvel at one of the many treasures on display in the Hyde Collection.
In the colder seasons, the region is transformed by snow and winter activities are plentiful. Gore Mountain Ski Center offers family-friendly alpine terrain and ski lessons, and nearby West Mountain is perfect for a leisurely afternoon on the slopes or night skiing. Enjoy special holiday events, such as Adirondack Winter Carnivals, as well as snowshoeing, snow-tubing, sledding, ice-skating and horseback riding throughout the winter season.
Scenic Hiking Trails around Lake George
In the foothills of the Adirondack Mountains around Lake George, explore nature trails, enjoy scenic walks and even go rock climbing. From the Lake George Wild Forest's vast trail system, to a leisurely stroll along Glens Falls' historic Feeder Canal Towpath Trail - the Lake George Region offers great hiking for any skill level.
- Tongue Mountain - 18 miles of marked trails around Bolton Landing
- Berry Pond Preserve - Easy walk through pristine wetland and open water wilderness in Lake George
- Black Mountain - A challenging 5.6 mile loop with stunning views located near Huletts Landing
- Feeder Canal Towpath Trail - At 9 miles, this scenic and historic trail offers a behind-the-scenes tour through Glens Falls
Lake George Region Culture
Lake George has inspired artists, poets and composers for centuries. From Georgia O'Keeffe and Alfred Stieglitz to contemporary performers and playwrights - the region is both a haven and a muse for creative minds. The Adirondack Theatre Festival in Glens Falls is just one of many Lake George cultural attractions, offering a wide range of performances each year - covering many subjects and mediums. Nearby, The Hyde Collection is home to a collection of European and Adirondack treasures, opening each season with a new exhibition.
The World Awareness Children's Museum in Glens Falls is one of the most unique centers of its kind in New York State - offering interactive exhibitions, youth and family programs, as well as community outreach through the arts. Nearby, the Adirondack Folk School in Lake Luzerne continues the Adirondack crafts tradition, offering workshops, lectures, concerts and special programs to inspire a new generation of artisans. Learn how to make traditional north woods twig furniture, pack baskets and Adirondack Chairs, or attend a special evening lecture and learn more about Adirondack heritage arts and crafts. Tour galleries located throughout the Lake George Region, each displaying the impressive works of local artists from a variety of genres.
For more information about the Lake George Region in Warren County, visit www.VisitLakeGeorge.com.
Can't Miss Events in Lake George
- Americade Motorcycle Touring Rally - The world's largest multi-brand motorcycle touring rally
- LakeGeorge.com Elvis Festival - Features more than 60 Elvis tribute artists, music and more
- Lake George Winter Carnival - A cherished winter tradition featuring parades, events, races and live entertainment
- Adirondack Balloon Festival - New York's Largest Hot Air Balloon Festival spans four days in the fall
- Gore Mountain Harvest Festival - A special weekend to celebrate the harvest with gondola rides, kid's events and more
- Adirondack Nationals Car Show - Classic, antique, muscle cars, custom and street rod car show. Family activities, vendors and car cruise!
- World's Largest Garage Sale - Hundreds of vendors, community of garage sales, food and fun.
Hudson River Whitewater Derby - Longest running white water derby including novice slalom, giant slalom. Music, awards and more!
- Gore Mountain - Open three seasons, enjoy world class alpine skiing and snow-tubing in winter, and mountain biking and hiking in summer and fall
- The Hyde Collection - This historic house and art museum complex offers a distinguished permanent art collection and seasonal exhibits
- Great Escape & Splashwater Kingdom - Enjoy amusement park rides, water park fun and kid-friendly accommodations
- Saratoga & North Creek Railway - Take a scenic train ride from Saratoga to charming North Creek
- Adirondack Extreme Adventure Course - Challenge yourself on the largest aerial tree top adventure park in the US
- Lake George Steamboat Co.- Scenic sightseeing cruises on 32 mile long Lake George. Dinner cruises, educational cruises and special event cruises.
- Up Yonda Farm and Environmental Education Center - An environmental education center offering geo-caching, hiking, wildlife and programs for kids
- World Awareness Children's Museum - The museum aims to create global awareness through interactive exhibits and programs
- Adirondack Folk School - Choose from a variety of workshops, lectures and special classes including jewelry making, fiber arts, children's crafts and cooking lessons
- Factory Outlets of Lake George - Over 70 famous stores all conveniently located in the area's "Million Dollar Half Mile."