Wiawaka Center for Women was founded in 1903 by Mary Fuller the daughter of a Troy, New York industrialist with the assistance of her friends Katrina and Spencer Trask of Tuxedo Park, Saratoga and Lake George. Their vision was to establish a retreat for the young female textile workers, mainly immigrants, employed as laundresses, shit collar makers and mill workers in Troy and Cohoes, New York.
Wiawaka is situated on the east side of Lake George on 60 acres a short drive from Lake George Village. The artist Georgia O'Keeffe was one of the students spending time at Wiawaka. Here you will find the perfect escape to walk through our gardens, hike our trails, swim and relax on our large dock without hustle and bustle of a public beach and an ample parking area.
Our guest accommodations feature the Fuller House which sleeps 8; Wakonda Lodge sleeps 11 - Ms O'Keeffe is on record of spending time there; Mayflower Cottage accommodates 14; Rose Cottage sleeps 9 and our Lake House is known for the two-story screened porch here we can accommodate 16 guests.
Our special events and programs include our Tuesday Women's Lecture series. We also include in our summer season presenters sharing their talents for arts and crafts; paper-making; painting; yoga and belly dancing.
Our season generally runs from mid-June through late September. We offer day visit passes and overnight guest accommodations. Our day pass allows visitors to the grounds and take part in our events and programs. The season and platinum passes includes several additional features and some discounts are included.
In our "shoulder" season we host weddings, family reunions and private retreats.
Wiawaka Center for Women is a 501(c)3 charitable organization dedicated to enriching the lives of women.